Summer is here and hopefully that means you will have a little time for relaxing and fun and maybe even a few household chores. While home projects probably aren’t at the top of your summer bucket list, proper home maintenance can be extremely beneficial to the overall life of your home, so a little time spent taking care of it will go a long way to keeping things in working order.
Make time for these tasks this summer to make your house shine.
1. Pressure wash your house, decks, driveway, patio, etc.
2. Inspect your roof for damage or worn areas so you will be ready for the inevitable summer rain storms.
3. Clean out your air condition drain line to allow condensation from your air condition to drain efficiently.
4. Clean the grill or other parts of the outdoor kitchen. The outside elements can put added stress on these items so take a little time to make sure they are in good shape and ready to go for the summer season.
5. Change your air filters according to the manufacturer’s recommendations for your system. All systems are different so follow the directions for your system to increase its life span.
6. Change or clean your built-in filters throughout your home. This includes your refrigerator, water softener, air purifier, range hood, etc.
7. Drain your water heater to remove sediment from the tank. This will increase the life of your hot water heater.
8. Perform basic refrigerator maintenance such as cleaning the coils and checking the door gasket for tight seals.
9. In the bathroom, clean your drains of hair and other blockages with the proper tool. (This is much safer than harsh chemicals.) Also, soak your showerhead in vinegar to remove mineral deposits that may cause them to spray incorrectly.
10. Clean the blades of your ceiling fan so you aren’t spreading dust all over the house when you turn your fans on.
11. Clean out the clothes dryer vent pipe to make sure there isn’t a buildup of lint that can cause a fire.
12. Check your fence for any areas that need to be repaired or replaced.
13. Check your deck for damage and make any necessary repairs. Both the wood and the fasteners can deteriorate over time. An annual check of decks is good to maintain the safety of the structure and handle issues before they get out of control.
When you finish all of these tasks, grab some sunscreen and spend the day by the pool relaxing and celebrating your accomplishments. For additional ideas or specific suggestions on home maintenance, feel free to contact me today for a consultation. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have, help you to find a new home or determine the value of your existing property.