As we start the new year, there is always an increase in the number of home sellers that want to put their homes on the market for the Spring season. While buyer interest does often pick up at this time of year, the number of homes on the market is so high your home may not receive the attention it deserves due to the increase in competition. If you too want to sell your home in the coming months, it would be a good idea to beat the rush and get your home on the market as soon as possible. Here are 10 things to do NOW so you can get your home listed in the next 30 days.
1. Take down all of your interior and exterior holiday decorations. Nothing will distract buyers more than Christmas decorations in February.
2. Pack up excess belongings in your home whether it is furniture, out of season clothing or anything else. A clutter free home will show much better than one with furnishings filling every available space.
3. Eliminate all the dead and drab from your yard. Leaves, limbs and other debris that are laying around your yard need to be cleared out.
4. Add some color to the outside for curb appeal. With many things not growing this time of year, even a small pop of color will help your home stand out.
5. Take the time daily to open blinds and curtains before you leave for the day. Some showings won’t provide much notice, so you may not have time to make last minute preparations so adding this to your morning routine will make sure your home is ready no matter where you are.
6. Eliminate signs of your pets as much as you can. If you normally leave pet bowls and beds sitting out all the time, find a place to store them when they aren’t being used so they aren’t so obvious during showings.
7. Purchase new towels for the kitchen and baths to display on the towel racks or countertops (and don’t use them.)
8. Don’t prepare foods with smells that linger. It can be hard to smell your home when you live in it all the time, but visitors will notice odors right away. Try not to cook bacon, garlic, fish and other items with strong smells.
9. Add a fresh centerpiece to your dining room table.
10. Call your trusted real estate agent and discuss what else you should be doing to prepare your home for the market and begin discussions about price and other contract details you will need to finalize.
These are all simple things you can handle in a day but will pay off greatly when your home is on the market to help it stand out from the crowd. For additional ideas selling your home, feel free to contact me today for a consultation. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have, help you to find a new home or determine the value of your existing property.
Certified Negotiation Expert(CNE®)
Long & Foster Real Estate Inc.
Annapolis Fine Homes Office
2 Francis Street | Annapolis, MD 21401
Teresa Dennison is your ultimate real estate resource for Annapolis, MD and the surrounding area. Visit my website for detailed information regarding today’s real estate markets.
Image courtesy of ErikaWittlieb/pixabay.com