Sunny days and warm nights call you outdoors to enjoy the weather. With longer days, hopefully you will have a little free time to get outside and enjoy yourself. If you have recently purchased your home or just have never taken the time to upgrade your outdoor living space, you still have plenty of time to add a few items to your yard so you can take advantage of them this summer. Here are the top five items you are sure to enjoy.
1. Build or extend your patio. If your home has no patio or deck, this will make a huge impact. Even a small patio will provide a place for a couple chairs or small table to relax and enjoy. Patios can be created of many materials in all sizes. While concrete patios are most common, there are many other options including brick, tile, pavers and more. Some options are more flexible and make it easier to change things down the road if you don’t want it to be there forever or decide to start small and expand later.
2. Cover your patio or deck. Whether you extend your roof line to cover the space or add an awning for coverage, this will make a huge difference. The sun can be scorching at different times of day. Having space where you have some protection from the sun will mean you can spend more time outdoors and not wait for nighttime to get a break from the heat.
3. Add a grill or outdoor kitchen. Go big with a full outdoor kitchen or just purchase a portable grill for backyard barbecues. Either way, you will love grilling out on nice nights instead of heating up your kitchen again.
4. Add a fence to your backyard. You may be wondering how a fence will make you spend more time outside. If you have young children or pets, you will love the option of not having to supervise them quite as closely. I am not suggesting you rely on the fence exclusively for child or pet care but knowing your pets won’t run away as soon as you step out the door means you can actually sit down on your new patio for a break.
5. Add something fun. If you have kids, a swing set or trampoline can be so nice for the backyard to keep the kids busy. If you are kid free or the kids are too old to enjoy a swing set, consider a hammock for yourself or a firepit.
One or all of these options can make a big impact in a small amount of time in your yard. Once you are finished, sit back and enjoy your yard all summer long. If you are thinking about selling your home, contact me today to discuss how to get your home ready for the market. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have and/or help you determine the value of your home.
Certified Negotiation Expert(CNE®)
Long & Foster Real Estate Inc.
Annapolis Fine Homes Office
145 Main Street | Annapolis, MD 21401
Teresa Dennison is your ultimate real estate resource for Annapolis, MD and the surrounding area. Visit my website for detailed information regarding today’s real estate markets.